30-Minute Rewind Feature with Dacast’s Default HTML5 Video Player
30-MINUTE REWIND ON LIVE CHANNELS
30-minute rewind is a new feature built into the new Dacast default player (since May 15, 2018) and in the Video JS5 based player (as the default player until May 15, 2018). The 30-minute rewind feature is not available in the Video JS4 player. With the 30-minute rewind feature, you can rewind, pause, and then fast-forward to catch back up to the live broadcast for up to 30 minutes.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT 30 MINUTE REWIND FEATURE
- 30 minute rewind feature is an optional feature for all your HTML5 and m3u8 type of live channels.
- 30-minute rewind feature is currently not available with our low latency live channels.
- 30 minutes rewind feature is FREE at all plans levels and included in Dacast free trial
- 30 minutes rewind feature is compatible with all encoders
- It is NOT possible to rewind for more than 30 minutes. If a broadcaster needs to access more than 30min of the live stream, he can use Dacast auto archiving feature to record the live event.
- The 30 min rewind feature and the auto-archiving feature can both be used at the same time on the same live channel
*WARNING: Our CDN provider caches the recorded content that is now available via the new 30 minutes rewind feature. When the stream is stopped, this cached content remains available during the next 30 minutes. So if you start your live stream right after stopping it, you will see the cached content until the 30 minutes are over. To avoid this, go to STEP 4
HOW DOES THE 30 MIN REWIND FEATURE WORKS
Note: it is important to follow these 5 steps in the right order, to ensure a successful activation of the feature
The first step is to create an HTML5 live channel or an m3u8 live channel (the latter being available for Pro plans and above). You can also select an already existing HTML5 or M3U8 live channel.
It is very important to make sure you haven’t started your live stream in your encoder when turning ON the 30min rewind feature. If you want to activate the 30min rewind feature on an already existing live channel, make sure to stop your stream in your encoder before turning the 30min rewind feature ON. Once you have turned ON the 30min rewind feature, you can start again your stream in your encoder. Please note that the 30min rewind feature takes a maximum 2h to take effect.
To turn ON the 30min rewind feature, you have 2 options: Option 1 – for one live channel only:
- Click on the live channel on which you want to activate the 30min rewind feature
- Go to the description section of the live channel
- turn ON the 30min rewind feature
Option 2 – using the Batch Configure menu: This option allows you to turn ON the 30min rewind feature on several live channels at the same time, using the batch configure menu.
- Select the live channels on which you want to activate the 30min rewind feature
- Go into the batch the menu, and select “30min rewind On/Off”
- A popup will appear so you can turn ON the 30min rewind feature
STEP 4 It is very important to PURGE your live channel to remove any cached content recorded on it when you use the 30min rewind feature on an already existing live channel. To purge a live channel:
- Make sure the 30min rewind feature is turned ON on the live channel
- Make sure the live stream has been stopped in the encoder
- Then you have 2 options:
Option 1 – for one live channel only:
- Go to the live channel you are using
- Go to the description section of your live channel, and click on the purge button
- A confirmation popup will appear, to let you know that you have successfully purged your channel
- Go to the live channel section
- Click on the Batch configure section
- Select “Purge On/Off” in the dropdown menu
- A popup will appear to make sure 30min rewind if ON
- Click “yes”
Now that you have activated the 30min rewind feature and purge your live channel if that was an already existing one, you can launch your stream in your encoder. To do so, just click on the ‘Start streaming” button or icon of your software or hardware encoder. Once the 30min rewind feature has been taken into account (2h), you should be able to access the previous seconds of your stream. The more you stream, the more time is added up to the count down until you reach 30min. NOTE: The action ON/OFF will purge the channel but this can take up to 3minutes. If 3 minutes after you have started to stream, you still see the cached recorded content, contact our 24/7 customer support.
Any questions about Dacast or do you need help/advice with this feature? Please contact us. Not yet a Dacast user, and interested in trying Dacast risk-free for 14 days? Sign up today to get started.
- How to Embed Live Streaming Video on Your Website
- Using Embedded Players with Dacast: A Walkthrough
- Why is the Full Screen Option Not Working with My Embed Code?
- How Do I Embed a Video on a WordPress Site?
- Do You Provide Website Integration?
- How to Embed Video on Your Website
- Which Embed Code Should I Use?
- Customize Video Player with Player API
- How Do I Embed on a WordPress Site?