You have 2 options to upload a VOD:
- Direct upload as you can see below
- DaCast FTP, circled in red, that we will explain in this article
We recommend using the PC/Mac uploader framed in blue in the picture above for most uploads.
However, if your file is over 2GB in size or your Internet connection keeps dropping and needs a reliable FTP upload, you can use the DACAST FTP method.
How to Upload a VOD via FTP:
Go to the VIDEO ON DEMAND (1) section of your DaCast BackOffice and click on the to add a new VOD(2)
click on DACAST Ftp (1) and make a note of the Host URL and Login (2)
If you don’t already have a FTP client, you can download FileZilla (Open Source Software): https://filezilla-project.org/download.php.
When you are ready, use the FTP client to connect to our server and move your files over.
In this tutorial, we will be using FileZilla.
Once open, you can enter the information from the previous step (Host & Username) and add your password account.
Make sure your host is: storage.ftp-auto.dacast.com and not storage.ftp.dacast.com.
Click on Quickconnect to fully connect to DaCast.
From there, locate the video(s) you want to import to your DaCast account (it is the left part of the screen) and drag & drop them to the right part, as shown on the picture below:
And voila! Once the transfer over, you video will be waiting for you on top of the VIDEO ON DEMAND section of your DaCast BackOffice:
For big files, you may want to revisit the settings of your FTP Client to make sure you don’t have any timeout connection during your upload.
Here is how to do so in Filezilla:
- In your top menu, click and EDIT, the SETTINGS as shown below:
- The following pop up should appear in which you can:
- Disable the timeout so the connection is never closed: enter 0 in the field “Timeout in seconds”
- Enter a number >= 10 in the field “maximum number of retries” in case your connection is stopped
If you want to organize your VODs in the new Back Office, you can also follow this walkthrough.