video tutorial available here
1/ What is transcoding? and what are transcoding credits?
Transcoding is the process that allows you to create several renditions of the same video allowing you to offer your viewers different video qualities. Transcoding is also used when the original uploaded format of the video cannot be played.
Transcoding credits represents the amount of GB available in your DaCast account to transcode Video On Demand.
For example : A TV HD (4.5MB/s) quality video of 1h would take roughly 2GB of your transcoding credits
2/ When am I using transcoding credits?
Transcoding credits are consumed when:
-Triggering several renditions on your Video On Demand (when encoding your Video On Demand).
NOTE: WHEN SELECTING SEVERAL RENDITIONS AS SHOWN ON THE PICTURE ABOVE, YOU ARE ONLY CHARGED FOR ONE RENDITION.
-Uploading your Video On Demand with auto encode.
-Auto archiving your live streaming
3/ How many transcoding credits do I get?
Free trials get 2GB of transcoding credits in order to test the video transcoding feature.
Then, you get an amount of transcoding credits, in GB, according to the DaCast plan purchased:
- Starter Plan: 20GB
- Pro Plan: 200GB
- Premium Plan: 500GB
- Enterprise Plan (custom plans): Contact us
- Event Plan
- 1-20TB: 20GB
- 20TB to above: Contact us
You also have the ability to purchase extra transcoding credits if needed. This will be explained on part 5/.
NOTE: When triggering your overage storage, DaCast offers you 50% of the overage storage used.
For example: If you used 10GB of overage storage, you’ll receive 5GB of free transcoding credits!
**Transcoding credits do not expire as long as your account remains active.**
4/ How do I know how many transcoding credits are remaining on my account?
The amount of your transcoding credits remaining in your account are displayed in the “purchase” section of your account. To access this section, you can either :
- Click on “upgrade my plan”
- Go under Account and then click on Purchase
5/ What if I don’t have enough transcoding credits remaining?
- You won’t be able to encode and auto encode your Video On Demand anymore (but you can still do a raw upload of your Video On Demand which would upload the Video On Demand in its initial format)
- You will need to purchase extra transcoding credits (works with PayPal and Credit Card). There are 3 options to purchase transcoding credits
OPTION 1: you can click on the button “Purchase transcoding credits” that is below your amount of remaining transcoding credits
OPTION 2: You can purchase additional transcoding credits when uploading a video on the DaCast platform using the auto encode method:
OPTION 3: You also have the possibility to purchase additional transcoding credits when encoding several renditions of your Video On Demand
NOTE: If you are on a free trial, you cannot purchase extra transcoding credits. You will need to purchase a plan before purchasing extra transcoding credits.
- 1 GB of transcoding credit is $3 with lower pro-rated pricing available for purchases over 20GB (see below)
- Minimum amount of transcoding Credits to purchase: 2GB ($6)
- Over 20GB of transcoding credits, we offer you special pricing:
- 20GB – 50GB = $2,50/GB
- 50GB – 100GB = $2,25/GB
- 100GB = $2/GB
- To purchase more than 100GB, please contact us