Live Stream Encoder Configuration and Required Dacast Settings
Introduction To Live Encoding
To ensure your Dacast live stream is stable and fully functional, you MUST configure your encoder to use the settings defined on this page. These settings have been chosen to ensure the maximum compatibility with the Dacast platform as well as with newer and older devices that are used for live streaming on your website ( Desktop, Mobile, SmartTVs, etc.) In this article you will find:
- Common Settings that must be used for all live streaming on the Dacast platform
- Resolution & Bitrate Settings that differ based on the desired size and quality of your stream
- Unsupported Settings that must not be used or you will see problems with your stream
- Encoder Download Links to get your hands on a software encoder
1. Required Live Encoder Settings
The following settings are required for live streaming with Dacast, regardless of your selected resolution and bitrate:
|Video Codec||H.264 (x264 may work)|
|Frame Rate||25 or 30|
|Keyframe Interval||3 seconds|
|Rate Control||Constant (CBR)|
|Audio Bitrate||128 kbps|
|Audio Channels||2 (Stereo)|
|Audio Sample Rate||48 kHz (48,000 Hz)|
2. Resolution & Bitrate Settings
Please select one of the following video configurations and ensure your encoder is set up with these exact settings to help prevent streaming issues:
|Name||Ultra-Low Definition||Low Definition||Standard Definition||High Definition||Full High Definition|
|Video Bitrate (kbps)||350||350 – 800||800 – 1200||1200 – 1900||1900 – 4500|
|Resolution Width (px)||426||640||854||1280||1920|
|Resolution Height (px)||240||360||480||720||1080|
IMPORTANT: Due to COVID19, internet companies throttle download and upload speeds at various times, and therefore a lower bitrate on the lower side of the range is recommended.
Before going live, we invite you to do a speed test first (testmy.net/) at the place where you will be live streaming. If you have any questions about your encoder settings, you can reach out to our support team and send screenshots of your encoder settings.
3. Unsupported Settings
Note that the following settings are unsupported and will break your stream:
- Baseline H.264 Profile
- Interlaced Scanning
4. Encoder Download and Stream Guide Links
- Dacast OBS Studio
- Telestream Wirecast
- VID BlasterX
- Stream Guide
- Switchboard live:
Any questions or need help/access to this feature? Please contact us. Not yet a Dacast user, and interested in trying Dacast risk-free for 14 days? Sign up today to get started.
1. More on Video Transcoding
Encoding is a process used to convert the RAW video files captured by a camera into digital files suitable for live streaming over the internet. This process uses either a hardware or software encoder.
2. More Relevant Topics:
- How to Live Stream: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Dacast Transcoding Walkthrough
- Cloud Video Transcoding/Encoding for Business
- Cloud Transcoding: What is Live Video Cloud Encoding?
- What is Video Encoding?
- Software vs. Hardware Live Streaming Encoders
- How to Use Wirecast for Live Event Streaming
- Is Wirecast (or Another Encoder) Necessary to Use the AAC Stream Format?
- Wirecast: What to Do When You Get an Error Publishing Stream
- How To Use Wirecast Encoder For Live Event Streaming
- Transcoding: Everything You Need to Know
- VOD Multi-Bitrate Walkthrough
- Video Streaming Software and Multi-Bitrate Streaming