Low Latency Streaming via HLS on Dacast OBS Studio
Table of Contents
OBS Studio is a simple yet capable free broadcasting software with an integrated RTMP encoder. We recommend using OBS Studio along with our recommended encoder settings to get started with live streaming. Although OBS Studio is our recommended software encoder, it is not required. Any RTMP encoder will work.
How to Set up HLS Streaming with OBS Studio
Technical Requirements for HLS Streaming with OBS
Before you download OBS Studio, please make sure you have the following:
- Windows 10 (64 bit) with at least 8GB RAM or Mac 10.13 running an i5 or better CPU
- At least 5GB of space left on the hard drive of your device
- The “Preview” button
- The “Share Link” is a URL allowing you to easily share your live event without embedding it
- The iframe embed code which will allow you to place the content on your website
- The script embed code which will also allow you to display the content on your website or in locations where using an iframe may be hard or impossible to use
If you cannot get your stream to work, please go to “Help” > “Log Files” > “Show Log Files.” Form there, a file with all your log files will open itself. Please zip the file and send it to email@example.com saying that you cannot get OBS Encoder to work. Our engineering team will look at your logs to see what’s wrong. If you have any questions about OBS Studio, HLS streaming, or need help with this Dacast feature, feel free to contact us directly. Not yet a Dacast user, and interested in trying Dacast risk-free for 14 days? Sign up today to get started.
- Quick Start Live Streaming with OBS Studio
- What is RTMP? The Real-Time Messaging Protocol Explained
- What is RTMP Ingest and Why is it Important for Live Streaming?
- What is Video Encoding?
- VOD Video Renditions & Bitrates for On-Demand Content
- Best OBS Studio Settings for Live Streaming
- OBS Tutorial for Dacast (PC)