Navigating the Dacast VOD Solution: A Walkthrough
Table of Contents
In this post, we are covering how to navigate the Dacast VOD solution. We will cover everything from uploading your videos to configuring paywalls and more.
1. Get Started with VOD Streaming
Creating video on demand VOD content over Dacast requires uploading media files to our network of servers. To do this, you must sign in to your account and click the “Upload Video” button found on the right side of the first page you see after logging in.
2. The File Uploader and Supported File TypesAfter clicking the “Upload Video” button, Dacast’s file uploader will launch. MP4 files with H.264 video (baseline profile) and AAC audio (low complexity profile) are natively compatible with the system. If your file is in a different format, or if you’re not sure, you can select the “Standard Encoding” from the “Encoding” toolbar. This will ensure that the file is compatible with our system. You can always choose to transcode the file later as well if you prefer. If this is the route you want to go, read the documentation at the bottom of the page.
3. Creating VODs
When you are ready to start, click the “Browse Files” button. This will let you search your hard drive for media files to upload. Once you have selected the file, the upload will begin. You can upload up to three files at a time. While three files are uploading, you can find the fourth file in a queue until the others have finished. Another way is to simply drag and drop the video file to automatically upload.
If for any reason you need to cancel an upload, click the “X” button. When you finish this step, next close the uploader to start managing VODs.
4. Managing Your VODs
Upon finishing uploading the files, all successfully uploaded videos to the system should appear on the front page of your account. It will show the following information:
- Created Date
To begin working on a VOD, click on the pencil icon, simply hover your mouse towards the right of the video file (as shown above, with the cursor of the mouse).
5. Configuring and Publishing VODs
After clicking on the edit icon, you will be able to manage and control the media file. There are seven main tabs that offer a variety of publishing settings that allow you to indicate your preferences. Let’s break down what you can do under each tab.
- Manage the name and description of the file
- See if the file is part of a specific video folder
- Access iframe embed code and Dacast share links (can be used to embed videos on your website, Facebook page, or Twitter account)
- Upload images specifically for your content (specifically splash screen, thumbnail, poster, etc.)
- Add subtitles
You can elect positions within the video to put specific chapter markers by clicking on “Add Chapter.”
This tab allows you to do the following to your VOD platforms:
- Enable paywall
- Change paywall theme
- Put an intro to your VOD
- Set prices, promo Codes, and associate group prices
Click on the lock icon to edit the settings under engagement.This section allows you to do the following to your VOD:
- Enable ads (Ad Network needed)
- Upload a brand image
- Put a brand text
- Put an end text
Always click on the lock icon to edit the settings under the “Security” tab (just like the “Engagement” tab). This section allows you to set up the following:
- Password protection for your VOD
- Content scheduling (Date/Time/Timezone)
- Geo-Restriction (restrict certain countries from viewing your VOD)
- Domain Names (restricting specific domain names to your VOD)
By default, the “Standard Theme” of Dacast is used. If you wish to create a new theme, please go to the “Theming” section of your Dacast account. This is found under “Settings.”This section allows you to control the following settings:
- Enable controls (player controls, big player button, and show scrubbing thumbnail)
- Put actions (download button, social sharing link, and display embed code)
- Change player appearance (overlay and menu color)
- Change behavior (enable autoplay, mute the video on play and loop the video)
- Put an “Offline Message” on your VOD.
- Choose a delivery method. Choosing “Compatible Delivery” will make sure the content will start again when it reaches the end. “Secure Delivery” attempts to play under any, if not all possible circumstances.
- Choose the “Region Settings” (Standard PoPs or premium PoPs). For this option please contact us directly.
The following option is only available for existing customers only who previously used FTP upload on our Dacast legacy platform.
6. Uploading with FTP (coming soon)
We recommend using the PC/Mac uploader above for most uploads. However, if your file is over 2GB in size or your internet connection keeps dropping when you need a reliable FTP upload, there is a solution for moving files over from FTP. First, select “Upload Video.”Then you will be redirected to the uploader page. Once you are there, click on “FTP/S3 Uploader” in the far right corner at the top of the page: The next page will show you the details that you can put into your FTP client that include HOST, LOGIN, and PASSWORD which are exclusive to your account. If you don’t already have an FTP client, we recommend using Filezilla. When you are ready, use the FTP client to connect to our server and upload your VODs. Any VOD content uploaded on your FTP will automatically show in the “Video on Demand” section of your Dacast account.
Any questions or do you want to access this feature? Please contact us. Not yet a Dacast user, and interested in trying Dacast risk-free for 14 days? Sign up today to get started.
- What Does VOD Stand For?
- Top 5 VOD Platforms for Online Video Hosting: A Comparison
- SVOD: Everything You Need to Know About Subscription Video On Demand
- VOD Streaming: The Premier Content Delivery Strategy
- How to Build Your Video On Demand Platform
- How to Organize Dacast VOD Content in the New Back Office