Facebook is a massive platform, with more than 2.3 billion active users. For broadcasters, this massive audience can be used. However, there are some drawbacks to professional users. This is true whether you are monetizing video, sharing educational content, spreading ideas, or anything else. Today’s article will share why and how you should embed live video on Facebook.
More specifically, today’s post we’ll cover how online video can improve your business and how to embed live video stream content using Dacast. Let’s get started!
Love it or hate it, Facebook is here to stay. Communication is no longer just a static exchange of words. We now have the power to tell stories through pictures, sounds, videos, and text – almost the full sensory experience. Live video is a key new medium and is a powerful tool for you. Here’s how to use it effectively.
Why broadcasters should embed live video on Facebook
It all comes down to maximizing your audience. Here at Dacast, we’re advocates for using professional video streaming solutions to host your video. This allows you to embed white label live video on your website and provides many other pro-grade features.
That said, choosing to embed live video on Facebook has big advantages as well. Here are a few of the statistics on that:
Facebook video streaming statistics
- Social video produces 1,200% more shares than text and images—combined
- 82 percent of viewers prefer a live stream rather than social posts
- On social platforms, live videos are watched 3x longer than video-on-demand
- Facebook is the second-largest video site worldwide
- 40% higher engagement rate than YouTube
- Users watch videos for longer on Facebook than on YouTube
Out of all the media available, video is the fastest-growing content on the internet. People now watch more videos on social media than on any standalone site. On average, U.S. adults spend 6 hours a day watching video.
How to stream to Facebook Live — for Professionals
You can stream to Facebook Live directly via the Facebook website.
However, we don’t recommend it. There are multiple reasons why. For example, Facebook is the most blocked website in the world. It’s also scanty on professional features. It doesn’t offer good video monetization options (Facebook’s advertising monetization has been described as bringing in “scant revenue”). Additionally, Facebook live streams are limited to a 4-hour duration per stream.
Instead, we recommend you stream to Facebook as part of a multi-destination broadcast. This allows you to bypass some of the issues associated with Facebook live streams.
There are three main methods for how to stream on Facebook Live using a professional video platform such as Dacast:
- via the Dacast share code.
- using multi-destination streaming at the encoder level.
- via Dacast partner Switchboard Live.
Method 1: Using Dacast share code to embed live video on Facebook
Dacast lets you broadcast a live video stream and embed it on Facebook via a share code that you can copy-and-paste into a social post.
This isn’t true multi-platform streaming, as the video content opens in a new tab (like most of the share code provided by other streaming solutions). But it does have some advantages around monetization and password protection. Our share code bypasses Facebook’s restrictions by opening in a new tab, outside of Facebook. It also allows you to broadcast for as long as you like.
You can find instructions here.
Method 2: Using multi-destination streaming at the encoder level to embed live video on Facebook
The second method of streaming to Facebook Live video Dacast involves using multi-destination streaming at the encoder level. This allows true native playback but requires more bandwidth and processing power at the encoder level. It also is subject to Facebook’s restrictions around monetization, security, and duration.
You can find instructions here.
Method 3: Using Dacast partner Switchboard Live to embed live video on Facebook
The third method for how to stream on multiple online video platforms for live streaming involves a service called Switchboard Live. Switchboard Live is a video distribution platform allowing you to simultaneously live stream across your own OTT video provider (such as Dacast) and all the most popular social media channels (such as Facebook and Youtube).
The big advantage of using Switchboard Live is that it is very fast. Simply connect your Dacast account, as well as Facebook, YouTube, Periscope, and/or Twitch. Once connected, you can start doing multi-destination streaming in just a few clicks.
You can find instructions here.
Note that we are also compatible with Restream (similar to Switchboard Live) via their customer RTMP destination.
8 Tips to boost your Facebook Live audience
Here are some quick tips on how to use Facebook to grow your Dacast channel.
- Find the share code on the Publish Settings page inside your Dacast account. Copy and paste the code into your Facebook status. Share it on your Newsfeed.
- Write an interesting and creative description of your posts to catch people’s attention. Keep it short, simple and direct. Always include pictures since people respond to visuals more than text.
- Use trending yet relevant hashtags to promote your live stream event. Don’t overdo it. Use 3 hashtags at most. You can use tools like Hashtagify.me to search for related hashtags.
- Make it interactive for fans. Ask questions. Create discussions and connect with them. Ask for your fans’ opinions on content ideas. Collaborate with them and respond to comments. After all, they’re the ones who will watch your live streams.
- Repost some of your most popular streams. This will get fans excited about your content and look forward to the next broadcasts.
- Provide incentives to fans who respond to your posts. This will encourage more people to respond. You can have a weekly or monthly contest to reward loyal followers. People love giveaways and prizes. It can be as simple as a free pass to a live stream or a piece of merchandise.
- Use Facebook Insights to track engagement metrics. You can see the demographics of people who engage with you on your page.
- Invest in your page. You can use Promoted Posts, Offers, and ad targeting to reach and connect with the right audience.
A short note on Facebook insights
Facebook Insights is a type of analytics, similar to Dacast’s video analytics. is a powerful tool to analyze the behavior of your followers. You can track user interaction by seeing which types of content and at what time of day they like, comment on and share the most. It also gives you a thorough report of your fans’ demographics. You can use this data to create specific ad campaigns according to age, gender, location or interests.
This real-time analytics tool can give you valuable insight into how to craft your online marketing strategy. You can get a deeper understanding of what your customers really want and offer them the best product and service. You can find out if your target market is interested in live streams or pay-per-view, and what kind of content they engage with most.
We hope that this article has helped you learn how to stream on Facebook Live like the pros. Ready to get started? Dacast offers all of the features we’ve mentioned here, and much more. All our streams are delivered via the top-tier Akamai CDN, and we offer robust monetization, analytics, security, and video APIs. And with our Facebook Live streaming options, we’re ready to help you with professional-grade live streaming to the biggest social networks in the world.
For new users, we offer a 30-day free trial (no credit card required). Just click the button below to sign up and start streaming live in a matter of minutes. It’s a great no-risk way to test out our platform.
As always, thanks for reading, and good luck with your live streaming endeavors.