Price is an important factor in live video streaming. Price plays a role when it comes to equipment, cameras, staff, and platforms. This article will focus on a pricing comparison between multiple video live streaming platform comparisons.
A modern live streaming solution is like a Swiss Army Knife for video. These solutions provide a range of services. Most basically, they store and deliver video content to viewers. They may also offer tools to monetize video, security functionality, and more. Different features impact price, but pricing varies widely from platform to platform and some charge a lot more for access to basic features.
Let’s jump right in and see what is the platform with the best pricing according to specific features for professional live broadcasting
Live streaming platform comparison: content delivery
Let’s get started with our live streaming platform comparison by looking at delivery with various services. Content delivery is critical to consider. Video streams are bandwidth-heavy. Therefore, having a robust network (ideally, a CDN or Content Distribution Network) to help deliver streams is essential.
- Dacast ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ – Storage with Dacast starts at 20 GB for $19/month. Paying $125/month gets you 200 GB of storage, and paying $289/month provides 500 GB of storage. Custom plans are also available. Dacast uses the Akamai CDN, the largest global platform on the market.
- Livestream ⭐⭐⭐⭐ – The Livestream platform includes unlimited bandwidth, but starts at $75/month (billed annually; $199/month billed monthly) for this feature. Content delivery is via an internal CDN system.
- IBM Cloud Video ⭐⭐⭐ – $99/month gets you 1 TB of storage, $499/month provides 2 TB storage, and $999/month includes 5 TB storage. Delivery is via an IBM server network.
- Wowza ⭐⭐⭐ – At Wowza, storage is charged based on your peak storage on any given month at $0.08 per GB. Their monthly plans start at $49/month, which doesn’t include storage or delivery charges. CDN delivery via Akamai starts at $0.15 per GB.
- Brightcove ⭐⭐ – At Brightcove, storage is restricted based on the number of videos. The starter plan at $199/month includes storage for 50 videos. The $499/month plan includes 200 videos. Brightcove uses an internal CDN, or you can use your own.
- Streamshark ⭐⭐ – Plans at Streamshark start at $50/month with storage an additional $0.12 per GB. The $100/month plan lowers per GB prices to $0.10, and the $250/month plan reduces it to $0.09 per GB.
Online video is a highly lucrative (and booming) business. Many broadcasters want to make money from their online video. This requires one of three methods: advertising, pay-per-view, or subscriptions. Each can be effective in the right circumstances. This section of our live streaming platform comparison looks at monetization tools.
- Dacast ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ – Advertising is supported on all plans. Subscriptions and pay-per-view are supported starting at $125/month.
- Livestream ⭐⭐ – Supports subscriptions, advertising, and pay-per-view but only starting at $999/month.
- IBM Cloud Video – No built-in monetization support.
- Wowza – No built-in monetization support.
- Brightcove ⭐⭐ – Includes monetization support via advertising, but only with custom “monetization” plans with custom prices.
- Streamshark ⭐⭐ – Supports monetization only via advertising, but is supported at all plan levels starting at $50/month.
Your video is too valuable to be illegally copied, shared, or distributed. Professional users need to secure their content. Various live streaming platforms include tools to help you do this. Here’s our live streaming platform comparison on the topic of security.
- Dacast ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ – Includes IP (geographic) and referrer restrictions, HTTPS delivery, password protection, tokenized security, and secure monetization on all plans.
- Livestream ⭐ – Includes password protection, embed restrictions, privacy control, and content access controls, but only at $999/month and up.
- IBM Cloud Video – Offers embed controls and password protection. Does not publish specific pricing information about their security features.
- Wowza ⭐⭐⭐⭐ – Includes geo-blocking, token authorization, and a range of other security options on all plans.
- Brightcove ⭐⭐ – Offers secure HTTPS video playback and secure live streaming starting at $499/month. Custom plans also offer encryption/DRM.
- Streamshark ⭐⭐ – Includes embed restrictions and other privacy controls starting at the $100/month plan level.
When problems arise, you need a video platform that offers 24/7 customer support and fast responses. You can’t wait for solutions during a live event. You need help right away. Here’s our tech-support live streaming platform comparison.
- Dacast ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ – Offers 24/7 live chat and email support, including phone support with the $125/month plan and above.
- Livestream ⭐⭐⭐ – Includes basic email customer support at $75/month, and priority support at the $999/month and up.
- IBM Cloud Video ⭐⭐⭐⭐ – Includes phone support, but only from 6 am to 6 pm US Pacific Time.
- Wowza ⭐⭐ – Basic 48-hour response time with a $49/month plan. Response time drops to 8 hours with the $495/month plan, 2 hours with the $1,495/month plan, and 30 minutes with the $2,495/month plan.
- Brightcove ⭐⭐ – With the $199/month and $499/month plans, Brightcove offers 2 hour response time. You can upgrade to Platinum support which offers 15-minute response time for an additional fee.
- Streamshark ⭐ – Offers a support email, but doesn’t publish any other information on their customer support.
Video API access is a must for professional users. An API, or Application Programming Interface, allows you to quickly and easily create custom applications, web portals, and integrated workflows. This is an essential tool for OTT businesses, 24/7 live streamers, app developers, and other demanding use cases.
- Dacast ⭐⭐⭐⭐ – Included in plans starting at $125/month and up.
- Livestream ⭐ – Included at $999/month and up.
- IBM Cloud Video ⭐ – Included on custom plans costing more than $999/month.
- Wowza ⭐⭐⭐ – Available via a special API-based pricing scheme.
- Brightcove ⭐⭐ – Available with custom plans costing more than $499/month.
- Streamshark ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ – Includes an API for all plans (plans start at $50/month).
We’ve already covered storage, but what about bandwidth? The amount of live streaming you do, and the number of viewers you have, determine your bandwidth usage. This is a critical element in high-quality live streaming. Therefore, any live streaming platform comparison needs to look at the bandwidth.
- Dacast ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ – 100 GB of monthly bandwidth on the $19/month plan. 2 TB of monthly bandwidth on the $125/month plan. 5 TB of monthly bandwidth on the Enterprise plan, plus $0.0578 per GB after that.
- Livestream ⭐⭐⭐⭐ – Unlimited streaming bandwidth on all plans, starting at $75/month (billed annually) or $199/month (billed monthly).
- IBM Cloud Video ⭐⭐– Instead of bandwidth, IBM Cloud Video bills based on “viewer-hours.” At $99/month, you get 100 viewer hours. At $499/month, you get 2,000 viewer hours. At $999/month, you get 5,000 viewer hours, with $0.20 per additional viewer hour.
- Wowza ⭐⭐⭐⭐– 500 GB of bandwidth at $49/month. 3 TB at $199/month. 7 TB at $499/month. 15 TB at $999/month.
- Brightcove ⭐⭐ – Rather than using bandwidth, Brightcove allows a certain number of “plays.” The $199/month and $499/month plans start with up to 100,000 plays. More expensive custom plans include unlimited plays.
- Streamshark ⭐⭐⭐ – Plans at Streamshark start at $50/month with about 416 GB of bandwidth. The $100/month plan includes roughly 1 TB, and the $250/month plan includes roughly 2.7 TB.
As you can see from this live streaming platform comparison, there is a lot of variation in the marketplace. Different platforms offer different levels of service for wildly varying prices. However, the most expensive isn’t the best. In many cases, Dacast provides top-level service at some of the most affordable prices on the market.
We think Dacast is the right video platform for professional streamers. And we’re willing to back that up. We offer a 30-day free trial that offers full access to our platform to allow you to test it thoroughly. There is no commitment and no credit card required. Just click the button below to start streaming live in a matter of minutes.
Hopefully, this article has educated you about the live streaming platforms available on the market today. This will empower you to make informed business decisions.
Do you have further questions or comments? We’d love to hear from you in the comment section below, and we will get back to you. For regular live streaming tips and exclusive offers, you can also join the Dacast LinkedIn group. We’d love to connect there as well!
Thanks for reading, and good luck choosing the right video streaming solution for you!